Friday, July 31, 2020

Chapter Five: The Promise

Welcome back to the Tsarina Legacy!
In the previous chapter, all of the kids became teenagers, and showed off how well Sophia and Joe's genetics mix. Ark got a little too inquisitive, but proved easily distracted by mention of babies or grilled cheese.
At Siya's birthday, Cristian quietly reminded her that she had a promise to keep...a promise that she can't quite remember.
Part of this chapter will be written from Cristian's perspective, and in a different style than usual. Additionally, parts of this chapter may be a bit intense.

I was ready to give up. This whole thing seemed like a bust.
What had I been thinking, trusting that stupid Fortune Teller to actually come through on this.
The old hag was supposed to arrive three hours ago. Spent every red cent I had to arrange this, and that bitch had scammed me. Well I'd get her, too. Her and all the rest of them. What right did they have to treat me this way? Me, of all people. Hadn't I been through enough? Why keep torturing me?
I decided to go to bed. Must have been a chump to have waited this long. Well I'll tell you, I'm no chump and I was done--
The world split open with sound.
I could feel it digging into my skin, my bones, burrowing deep into my mind like a vicious slithering snake.
I felt that I would crack open, everything inside of me spilling out, my soul dripping from my body like yolk from a rotten egg.
I wished for death. Anything to make this end.
Perhaps it was Death that came. Not as the familiar Grim Reaper, but in a more insidious form.
The sound began to abate, my bones stopped shaking, and my thoughts gained coherent form again, as a bright light filled the room.
In the light was the transparent form of an old woman. The hag I had been promised had finally arrived.
The Hag: "Hello there, Cristian. Why don't we sit and discuss our common goals."
Her voice made me think insanely of a bird trying to sing through a broken neck. Something that should be beautiful, but distorted and ghastly.
The Hag: "Tell me, young man, what is it that you desire above all else?"
Cristian: "Well, Miss um..."
The Hag: "You may call me Tish. I know it doesn't seem fitting, but a single comment about it, and you shall spend the rest of your days as a chicken with broken wings."
Cristian: "Right, um, Tish. What I desire...it used to simply be the love of dear Sophia. All I wanted was to take her hand in marriage and spend our lives as a true family."
Tish: "Ah, but 'dear Sophia' did not share this desire? She cast you off, tossed you, broken and pleading, into the brackish tides of love?"
Cristian: "Yes. She abandoned me for a man she had known for mere days. Even carried his children. She let him pollute her body rather than so much as acknowledge my love."
Tish: "And let me guess, you want a love potion to force her away from her husband. If that's what you're after, that Fortune Teller could have supplied it easily enough. No need to come to me."
Cristian: "No. That used to be what I wanted. But I see now that her mind has been warped, ruined beyond repair. And the thought of her body now...it disgusts me. No. I don't want Sophia. I want revenge."
Tish: "Ah, now that I can help with.
She became more animated at this point; excited at the prospect of hurting that awful family. I did not understand why she bore a grudge against them, but I didn't really care. If it got me my revenge, that'd be all that mattered.
Tish: "Have you considered the best way to hurt them?"
Cristian: "I've made friends with her oldest daughter in secret. She's going to visit me. When she does, I plan to poison her. Something slow and painful. That's why I need you. All the most vicious poisons are brewed by witches."
Tish: "Ha! True spoken. If you wish someone to die in agony, a witch is the best apothecary. However, your plan is no good."
I clenched my teeth together, desperately holding back the venomous words building in my throat. I had to remember that this woman had power, possibly on a cosmic scale. Insulting her would only hurt me. I forced myself to swallow deeply before speaking.
Cristian: "I...what do you mean?"
Tish: "Your plan is stupid. Tupoy. You kill one child? Bah! What good does it do? The woman will be sad for a bit, yes, but she will recover, and so will the rest of them. Besides, there is another daughter. That one will simply take the crown of heirship and the legacy will continue unabated. No, no, no. Killing one child, no matter how good it may feel, will not help."
I had been looking forward to killing that child since I had read the birth announcement in the paper. I had spent whole nights imagining how she might twitch and writhe and cry and beg while she died. How could I simply give up the only thing that had kept me alive for so long?
Tish: "I know what you are thinking. You have your mind around the idea of killing the child like a trap around a wolf's leg. Biting in tightly, unwilling to let go. But you must. Let go of this plan. Reset your trap and watch for better prey. Besides, what would you do after killing her? Run and run and hope you aren't found? Let yourself be caught and spend the rest of your miserable existence rotting in a cell while those who wronged you heal and go about their lives? No. We can do better. We can end the whole line."
My heart stopped, and then beat what felt like twenty times faster than normal. The whole line? Was it possible? How? I couldn't possibly fight them; even with three of them being children, I would be badly outnumbered. Poison the lot at dinner? But what if they ate at separate times? I couldn't lure them each here alone. Too suspicious. My mind raced. The Hag (what kind of stupid name is Tish for a witch anyway?) watched me for a moment before rolling her eyes with impatience.
The Hag: "Bah, you are tupoy. You can't kill them all yourself. That's clear. And we don't need them all dead anyway. No, no. We only need two of them dead. And neither of us need lay a hand on them."
Cristian: "But how?"
The Hag: "You bring the little girl here as planned. But instead of poison, you give her a certain potion. It works best when mixed into something sweet. Give the child hot chocolate."
Cristian: "And then?"
The Hag: "Well..."
She explained her plan. I felt sick for a moment. Almost guilty. I had loved Sophia once. Maybe...no, this was the best course. She was only getting what she deserved. So what if the children suffered? They never should have been born in the first place.
The Hag gave me the promised potion before leaving. It glowed oddly and the bottle felt somehow meaty. I hoped that she was telling the truth when she said the little brat wouldn't notice it in her drink. If she did, then the whole plan would be ruined.
The brat would be here tomorrow. If she drank it without a problem, I would soon have more than I ever could have asked for.
I asked her why she was helping me; why I wasn't being charged for the potion; what she had meant by 'common goals.' But she only cackled before disappearing, leaving me shuddering on the floor as the sound of her spell broke the world again.
Cristian: "Hello, Anastasiya. Come in."
The Brat: "Thank you for letting me come over, Mr. Cristian. But, the Captain made me promise not to visit strangers. You promise this isn't against the rules?"
Cristian: "Of course it isn't. And the Captain was right to make you promise that. Strangers can be dangerous, after all. But I'm not a stranger, am I? We're friends."
The Brat: "You're right! You're not a stranger at all."
I pulled away from the hug. She stood there, smiling up at me stupidly. The final twisting of guilt in my stomach let go as I looked at her face. Part of me had hoped that she would look like Sophia. But I was glad that she looked more like her father.
Cristian: "You must be freezing after walking all the way here. Why don't you have a seat on the couch, and I'll get you some hot chocolate?"
The Brat: "And then I can use your workout room?"
Cristian: "Of course. The ballet barre will be all yours."
The Brat: "Awesome!"
I set the bottle down as soon as I had poured it into the cocoa mix. I couldn't stand touching it. The meaty glass had seemed to pulsate in my hand. I probably should have hidden it, kept the brat from seeing it. But I couldn't bring myself to touch it again. The thought made my stomach hitch in a sickening way.
An eternity dragged on while I waited for the drink to brew. I stole a few glances into the living room. She sat there, kicking her feet back and forth while she watched some mindless crap on the TV. She never even looked over to the kitchen. Stupid, then. Not a surprise, really.
Finally, the machine dinged and I poured the strange brew into a mug, hoping that there was nothing off about the smell, or color, or taste, or anything else that might make her decide not to drink it.
Cristian: "Ready for your hot chocolate?"
The Brat: "Yep! Did you know that we don't have a TV at home? I wish we did. This show is great, even though I think Mabel is kind of selfish. But it's still good."
Cristian: "I'm glad you like it. Here's your drink."
The Brat: "Thanks!"
She took the cup and drank from it eagerly. My concerns that she would notice the extra ingredient turned out to be unfounded. She gulped it down, draining the cup so fast I wondered how she did not burn her mouth.
Cristian: "I need you to make me a promise, Anastasiya."
The Brat: "Of...course...anything...tell...me...what...to...do..."
Cristian: "Good. Now listen closely."
Siya: "Ugh...just one night of decent sleep. That's all I want."
You okay?
Siya: "I keep having these awful nightmares. Every night since the twins' birthday. I can barely sleep."
What are they about?
Siya: "I don't know exactly. Everything is dark and red. I can hear screaming. Sometimes it sounds like someone else, but sometimes it sounds like me. What is going on?"
Do you feel weird, or sick, anything like that?
Siya: "No, just tired. Maybe it's just stress. I mean, I've got school, studying for scholarships, and I just started a part-time job at the military base. I just need time to get used to my new schedule. I'm sure I'll be fine."
Alright. If things get worse, or you're worried about anything, just let me know, okay?
Siya: "Okay."
Joe, listen up. I've got a plan.
Joe: "Um, okay. What is it?"
See that real estate listing for Little 'n Local? Buy it.
Joe: "Oh, am I starting a business? That's neat."
Yep. Your career is crawling along at a snail's pace. You have all the skills and friends you need, and you've been going to work in platinum, but they still won't promote you, and you're going to have your birthday soon. At this rate, you'll never achieve your LTW. So you're going to pretty much live on a community lot until it's done. Sound good?
Joe: "I'm not sure about living at the store, but the money and perma-plat sound good."
Good. Now buy the deed and get your butt down there. We're not wasting any time.
Joe: "I'm selling clothes?"
Yep.
Joe: "But aren't there already like ten clothing stores between Bluewater and Downtown?"
Yep.
But yours will be the best. And will help some the fashionably challenged locals around here.
Such as this poor fellow, who is just an absolute disaster. In every way. Dear lord.
Random Guy: "Hey, my clothes don't suck now. My life is on the way up."
Joe really is helping those in need.
He got that gold sales badge in no time.
Even the head of the Witches of Light was left dazzled by him. She eventually became one of our most frequent customers.
I know this won't stick, but she showed up constantly and kept infesting the lot, so Joe and I had a bit of fun at her expense.
Eventually, the store got popular enough that Joe had Zell come help out.
These two lived on this lot for a couple of weeks. I set them up with a grill and a tent, and they're both serious enough that I didn't really have to worry about entertainment.
Neither of them left until Joe had finally achieved his LTW of earning 100,000 simoleons. Which I didn't get a picture of because I'm dumb. Sorry.
Time to go back home!
The store earned the Tsarinas enough money to finally remodel their house.
Sophia: "More green? What is it with you?"
I like it. Shut up.
And since I'm always curious about this sort of thing, here's the inside.
I designed it with the idea of being able to comfortably hold a large number of Sims. Which is why the bathroom is kind of huge and divided into a lot of stalls for both toilets and baths/showers.
There is a second story, but it's just a large attic designed to hold career rewards and skilling objects that don't fit downstairs or mess up the aesthetics.
Ark got addicted to the pool table. Any time I left him to his own devices, he would start playing pool. There were multiple times when I had to make him stop playing so that he wouldn't starve to death or leave a puddle on my nice carpets.
Zell: "Wait. How is this fair? Ark gets to play pool and we have to sit here studying? Not cool, Cap. Not cool."
Ark gets to play pool because he maxed his mechanical skill. You and Siya have not. So he gets to have fun, and you two get to study.
Zell: "Yeah, whatever. We all know Ark's your favorite."
Oh, fine, you can all have a break.
When I said you could have a break, I was thinking that you all could play pool or something.
Zell: "Yeah, well, The Hub seemed more fun."
Wait, what happened to your makeup? You were wearing it when you left.
Zell: "I don't know. It just sort of disappeared when I got here. It's not a big deal. I can just put it back on later."
As long as you're happy, I guess.
Also, I cannot tell if these kids got their noses from Sophia or Joe. I keep going back and forth on it. If you can figure it out, please let me know the answer.
Bartender: "Kids, I get that you're having fun and all, but you really need to move. Customers, especially underage customers, aren't allowed behind the bar. Get going."
Ark: "Why does it matter? It's not like we can take anything. Most of these bottles are just for show. And you only serve juice anyway, so our ages shouldn't matter. Unless...is it like the milk bars in Clockwork Orange? That would be interesting, and explain why adults love it so much. Hmm...maybe..."
Hey guys, shouldn't you head back home? The headmaster should be coming by soon.
Siya: "Oh yeah! Come on, we have to get back before he shows up."
Ark: "Mmphflllsss?"
Headmaster: "Excuse me?"
Ark: "Blech! Sorry. It's a bit difficult to speak with a mouthful of pine needles. Come inside. My sisters and I prepared some lobster thermidor for dinner."
Headmaster: "Sounds delicious."
The thermidor did the trick. The kids got admitted to St. Olga's without an issue, fulfilling Wants for everyone.
Ark: "Is it true that St. Olga's used to be a reform school for girls?"
Yeah, but they overhauled the whole place when it turned out to be more of a Magdalene Laundry than a school.
Ark: "Well, I'm glad that we got admitted after they changed it."
Me too, buddy. Me too.
Sophia: "How does a penguin build a house? Igloos it together!"
Joe: "Why do melons have weddings? Because they cantaloupe!"
Sophia: "Why did the invisible man turn down the job offer? He couldn't see himself doing it!"
Joe: "How many apples grow on a tree? All of them!"
Are...are you two having a dad joke contest?
Sophia: "Yep. I love telling dad jokes. Sometimes he laughs!"
Joe: "That's a great one. But I bet I can beat it!"
Right. I think I'll just chill out in the attic until the kids get home.
What?! No! Come on! Sophia, do you really have to age up in the attic, in your athletic wear, with a big green stink cloud coming off you? Really?
Sophia: "Not my fault you forgot my birthday."
Dammit!
Fine. Here she is. Sans stink cloud.
You actually aged rather gracefully. Good job.
Sophia: "Thanks. That means a lot coming from someone who forgot my birthday."
...shut up.
Joe: "You are the most beautiful person I have ever seen."
Sophia: "Even though I've gotten all saggy and wrinkly?"
Joe: "You have not. There is not a single sag or wrinkle on your whole body."
Sophia: "Are you sure about that?"
Joe: "Well I can always double check for you if you'd like."
Sophia: "I would definitely like that."
Age, career, and three children have done nothing to diminish how often these two are pawing at each other. It's really kind of adorable.
Ark: "Come on, dad, I know you can hit harder than that."
Joe: "Be careful what you ask for, kiddo."
I just hope that Joe washed his hands before playing this.
Ark: "What? Why?"
Oh, uh, no reason.
Ark: "Why would dad need to wash his hands?"
It's nothing. Don't worry about it.
Ark: "Tell me! Why?"
Bye...
Ark: "Cap!"
Siya: "I don't know how much longer I can take this."
Still having nightmares?
Siya: "They're getting worse. I'm almost afraid of going to bed now."
Are they still the same?
Siya: "Mostly. I've started seeing a face in them, but it's some old woman I've never met. What am I going to do?"
I don't know, hun. But I'm sure you'll be fine.
Siya: "If you say so. I give up on sleep for now, though. I'm going to see what Zell's up to."
Sophia: "So, what do you think? How do you like the new house?"
Cristian: "It's nice. A bit ostentatious, though, isn't it?"
Sophia: "What are you talking about?"
Cristian: "The place is huge. And you have a pool table in the living room."
Sophia: "Oh, you're being ridiculous. The house is great."
Cristian: "Yeah, alright. It's just hard to imagine that you went from a small apartment without your own bedroom to a freaking mansion. Say, where are the kids?"
Sophia: "I think Ark is finishing his homework. Smart kid, but he always leaves his assignments for the last minute. Siya and Zell are upstairs playing with this little golf game that Joe brought home."
Cristian: "You mind if I go say hi to them?"
Sophia: "Sure, go ahead. I'm getting tired anyway. Please tell them that they can't stay up there all night."
Cristian: "Haha, will do."
Cristian: "Hello, Anastasiya. It's time to keep your promise."
Siya: "But...oh no..."
Cristian: "Oh yes. Do you remember it now?"
Siya: sniff "...yes..."
Cristian: "Here. Use this."
Siya: "...okay..."
Zell: "Oh my god! Siya, how could you?!"
Siya: "I...I have to..."
Joe: "Girls?! What is going on?!"
Zell: "Daddy! Help!"
Siya: "I promised..."
Joe: "No!"
Siya: "Move! I promised!"
Joe: "What are you talking about?!"
Siya: "Daddy...I...I promised. I didn't remember until now, but I promised, and I have to do it."
Joe: "Do what? What promise?"
Siya: "When...when I was a kid. I drank...something...and he made me promise. Zell and then me. No more daughters. End the line."
Joe: "...what?"
Siya: "Oh god! I almost killed Zell!"
Zell: "You were going to kill me? But...I thought we were friends."
Siya: "We are! I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. He made me."
Cristian: "Knew I shouldn't have trusted that hag. I'll have to do this myself. I can get at least one of them."
Joe: "No! You can't have my daughters!"
Cristian: "Fine! You'll do!"
Siya: "Daddy! No!"
Zell: "...dad?"
Siya: "...no...what have I done?"
Sophia: "Girls? What was that shouting?"
Cristian: "Shit. I better get out of here."
Sophia: "Siya, what happened?! How did this happen?!"
Siya: "I...I...I'm so sorry, mommy!"
Sophia: "Tell me what happened."
Zell: "Cristian attacked us."
Sophia: "What?!"
Siya: quietly "What?"
Zell: "Dad heard us scream and ran up. Cristian was trying to kill us and daddy...he jumped in front of us and Cristian hit him instead."
Sophia: "Oh god..."
"Good evening and welcome to the 10 o'clock news. I'm Priya Ramaswami. Breaking news tonight. Murder in Siberia.
Less than an hour ago, police responded to a call from The Winter Palace, home of the Tsarina Family. According to Officer Demi Love, 56-year-old Joe Tsarina was killed in the attic. Witness statements claim that the culprit was local coffeehouse musician Cristian Morokov, who first attacked the family's young daughters before killing their father when he interfered in the attack."
"Police are currently searching for Morokov, who fled the scene.He is described as having fair skin, black hair, a beard, and grey eyes. If you spot Morokov, please alert the police immediately. Do not attempt to approach as police are currently considering him to be armed and extremely dangerous.
Mr. Tsarina leaves behind his wife, Sophia, and three children, Anastasiya, Anzhelika, and Arkady."
"In other news, our local football team will be competing against the Pushkin Gnomes this Saturday at Otkrytiye Stadium. As always, I would like to extend my support to our boys. Go you Huskies!"
Sophia: "How could you leave like this? Didn't you know that I was supposed to go first? You were supposed to die of old age and leave a platinum stone!"
I miss him, too, Sophia.
Sophia: "Well if you miss him so damn much, bring him back!"
I can't.
Sophia: "Yes you can! I know you can!"
No. I can't. Direct interference takes a large toll. If I try it again, I might die. And if I die, this whole place dies.
Sophia: "Fine! You're useless! I'll have to do something myself!"
Siya: "God...this is all my fault."
Ark: "No, it isn't."
Siya: "Yes, it is! You don't know! I tried...I tried to..."
Zell: "He knows. I told him."
Siya: "What?!"
Ark: "Of course she told me. No secrets among siblings."
Siya: "And you don't blame me? How?"
Zell: "Because of what you said. He gave you something that made you do it. I know you wouldn't do it on your own. I don't know why he wanted to end the line, but he did. He wanted both of us dead. No more daughters, and the Tsarina line ends."
Ark: "Maybe I should consider myself lucky that I'm not a girl."
Siya: "Not a good time for jokes, Ark."
Ark: "Right. Sorry."
Siya: "Christ...I'm supposed to go to college in a couple of days. Dad was so excited about it."
Zell: "You mean we're going to college in a couple of days."
Siya: "Wait, what?"
Ark: "Yup! Zell and I talked about it. There's no way we can leave you alone in a dorm now. We've got good enough grades to graduate early, so we're all going to college at the same time."
Siya: "Thank god. I was not looking forward to having to live with a bunch of strangers."
Zell: "The strangers will definitely be there. At least until we can afford our own place. But you won't be alone with the strangers."
Siya: "Good enough for me. But, uh, what about mom? Won't this mean leaving her here alone?"
Ark: "Crap. I didn't think of that."
Zell: "Neither did I. Well, no time like the present. Let's go."
Sophia: "Alright, kids, what's so important that you just had to talk to me right away?"
Zell: "Well, um...do you want to tell her, Siya, or should I?"
Siya: "Chicken."
Zell: "Hey!"
Ark: "Ba-bawk!"
Sophia: "As fun as watching you three bicker is, could someone please tell me what's going on?"
Siya: sigh "Okay. Well, you see, I'm going to college soon, and, with everything that happened, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of leaving on my own and living in a dorm with nothing but a bunch of strangers. And, well, Ark and Zell decided that they wanted to...to go with me."
Sophia: "Oh. So, Ark, Zell, you two want to go to college with Siya?"
Zell: "Um, yeah."
Ark: "I know we'd be leaving you here alone, so if you're not okay with that, I'll stay with you for a bit longer."
Sophia: "Thank you, Ark. But that's not necessary. I agree that the three of you should go together."
Zell: "Really? Are you sure?"
Sophia: "Yes. I know you worry about me being on my own, and I won't pretend that it won't get lonely, but I know how important it is that you three stay together now. You need each other."
Zell: "Thanks for understanding, mom."
Sophia: "Of course, sweetie. Just promise that you'll take care of each other."
Zell: "I promise."
Siya: "And what's the worst you take/ From every heart you break/ And like the blade you'll stain/ Well I've been holding on tonight"
Well, I can't argue with your taste in music.
Siya: "It seemed fitting."
It is. Don't stop on my account.
Siya: "What's the worst that I can say/ Things are better if I stay/ So long and goodnight/ So long and goodnight"
You guys ready for your last day of high school?
Zell: "So freaking ready."
Ark: "Woo! Last day last day last day!"
Man, I'm going to miss those uniforms.
Zell: "Kind of gross, Cap."
Sorry. (I'm totally not sorry).
Siya: "Hi, I need a cab for three to Academie le Tour. Yes, I know it's kind of far. That's fine, we can afford it. Okay. See you soon."
Sophia: "Be good, kids. I've heard stories about what kids get up to at college."
Ark: "Don't worry, mom. We'll be fine."
Sophia: "Okay. Be sure that you eat more than just pizza. And be careful, the Academie is a lot warmer than here, so watch out for heat stroke. Oh, and-"
Zell: "Mom, seriously, we'll be fine."
Sophia: "Oh, alright. I know you will. I love you kids."
Siya: "We love you, too. Bye, mom."
Sophia: "Bye."
Are you sure you're okay no that all of the kids have left?
Sophia: "Yes. I'm fine. Besides, my plan will be easier with them gone."
Your plan? What plan?
Sophia: "You'll see. I just have to wait until I'm sure the kids have gotten out of town, and then you'll see."
Cristian: "Okay, that's everything. Time to get out of here."
Sophia: "Hi there, Cristian. Going somewhere?"
Cristian: "S-Sophia! What are you doing here? Wh-what are you holding?"
Sophia: "Don't you remember what I told you? I warned you that if you hurt anyone in my family, I would make you pay. Do you remember that?"
Cristian: "Y-yes."
Sophia: "Good. Your debt has come due. And I'm here to collect."
Cristian: "Sophia, p-please don't do this. Please! We were friends once, remember? We...we were closer than siblings. I-I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me!"
Sophia: "Mercy?! You're begging me for mercy?! Did you show any fucking mercy when you tried to kill my children?! How about when you murdered my husband?! DID YOU SHOW ANY MERCY TO THEM??!!"
BLAM!
Sophia: "God...Cris...how could you have let it come to this?"
Cristian: "...m-mom...is that...you?...I'm coming...mama..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Five: The Promise

Welcome back to the Tsarina Legacy! In the previous chapter, all of the kids became teenagers, and showed off how well Sophia and Joe'...